Decorating & Furniture/wicker chest

Question
i have a wicker chest that was a left to me.  i was using it as a coffee table.  i got a cat and she has clawed it to the point where the rattan was all shredding. i pulled all the rattan off to find only cork backing.  i want to somehow cover the chest in some type of material.  do know what kind of material and how i could glue it to the chest.  i really dont want throw it out.

Answer
Hi Pattie,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  Sorry to hear about the cat's antics...but we love them anyway, don't we?  My best suggestion is that you cover the chest with batting (like we use for quilt linings) and then with a wonderful fabric.  To continue to use it as a table, add a piece of glass or plexiglass to the top.  Here's how.

You'll need:

Batting (in a roll) - available at fabric stores
Enough fabric to cover the entire chest (decorator fabric would be best - it's 54 inches wide and very sturdy)
Staple gun
Staples
Glass or plexi cut to fit the top (Your local glass/window dealer will cut it to order for you.)

Working from the bottom of the chest, roll the batting over the outside and up to the lid.  Tuck under the lid and staple. You'll want to cover the lid separately.  Continue covering the outside, wrapping just like a package until the entire unit is covered with batting.  Then again, starting from the bottom, wrap the fabric in the same manner, making sure that the raw edges are tucked under.  

The only other suggestion I could make is to cover the entire chest with "cut-to-size" pieces of wood or bead board, but that requires heavier tools that you may or may not be comfortable working with.

Good luck on your project.  Oh - and buy kitty a new scratching post!

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik