Decorating & Furniture/window treatment

Hi Jenny
We are doing a sort of italian theme in our kitchen/eating area.  The cabinets are tall and white.  We have white wainescotting on the bottom 1/2 of the walls and top 1/2 is painted a brick red. We have medium-dark wood floors, and eventually we'll have some italian kitchen decor.  My question is in regard to the sliding glass door (I wish it was a regular door)located in the eating area.  What window covering would look good for this huge sliding glass door considering the decor of the rest of the area.  I refuse to do vertical blinds.  I want something different and unique!!  I thought maybe just a curtain that slides easily along with using a "curtain holder backer thingee".  If so, white? or patterened?
Do you have any suggestions for us?   My brain is tapped out.
Thank you,

Thanks for writing and for your question.  I love the description you give of your space.  You're off to a fabulous start with these choices.  

In your case a curtain with a holder backer thingee is probably a good choice.  Since you don't care for verticals (and I know, we're all tired of using them even though they are great for privacy and light control) then select a patterned drape.  My best suggestion is that you select something that incorporates the brick red, white and perhaps a dark/medium dark shade of green.  If you can find muted colors (smooshed together!) then great.  Look for a tapestry kind of pattern.

Check out Bed, Bath & Beyond or Linen's and Things in your area.  They just debuted some new items.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology