Decorating & Furniture/window treatments

Hi: My wife and I recently purchased a traditional two story brick house. An addition had been added, we call it the sun room. It is retangular in shape and contains a major entrance into the house. It has two skylights and the ceiling is in pine board. There is a closet that is also made out of pine. The floor you guessed it, is also pine. The floor directly in front of the door is white tile, a continuation of the kitchen. I have recently painted the walls Benjamin Moore Salisbury Green. We are very happy with the colour. There is also a gas fireplace on the closet wall which faces the main window wall.
There are three casement windows 67" H & 45" W. There is barely enough separation between them to put trim. The bottom of these windows are about 2' from the floor. The final wall which faces the side of the original house has one large window frame 80" W & 54" H, with a casement.

The existing mini blinds are terrible. They don't fit and are in rough shape.
Our problem is that we need some privacy as this all looks onto a street. The other are financial resources. Drapes are an option since I have a mother who loves to sew. Suggestions?

Drapes are a good option for softness around the windows and for privacy.  A combination of blinds/shutters and drapes are also something you may want to consider.  If you opt for a combination, look for vertical blinds as opposed to horizontal ones.  THey provide better light control and therefore privacy.  They "last" longer than horizontal and are available in fabric as well as vinyl coated.  

In either case, treat the grouping of three windows as one window with blinds and/or draperies.  If you omit blinds, make the draperies wide enough to fully close, and hang them from a traverse rod for ease of open/close.  If you opt for blinds, make the draperies only wide enough for the outside of the windows, as a "frame" if you will.  This will soften the glass, enliven the wood and give you the privacy you need.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology