Decorating & Furniture/window treatments

Question
Hi Jenny,
I have a new apartment on the first floor where there is a public walkway on the outside. The living room window faces this walkway. It is about 9-10 feet long. I am trying to find a suitable window treatment that will ensure my privacy, but fit my style as well. I love Shabby Chic and cottage style. I want to have two layers of window coverings: A sheer layer to let in light during the day and loose white cotton drapes that I can close at night. Will they be too see through?

Also where can a find a rod for a big window like this? I don't want to spend too much.

Answer
Hi Christine,

Thanks for writing and for your questions.  First, since the window is large, you may have to create your curtain rod from wooden brackets and closet dowling.  Brackets can come from most anywhere, and closet dowling is available in several lengths from your local home improvement center.  Be sure to support the middle in a large expanse like this too!

Also, there's a relatively new product on the market called "Artscape" which is basically a decorative "cling" for windows.  They run about $19 each, and while you would need several, you could insure your privacy by using these on the street facing window.  They come in assorted styles and designs, and are excellent for a use like yours.  They allow light in, but provide privacy.  Home Depot carries these -- look in the blinds section.  They're easy to put on and peel off cleanly.

Add to that your sheers and draperies and you'll be private.  If you don't like/want to use the film, consider adding a custom-made blind which will allow you to control the light and the privacy in one.  

Good luck!
Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik