Decorating & Furniture/wood staining

helo angie
could you please tell me if i could wood stain in a dark colour over a slightly sheened finished teak wall unit as i do not have alot of spare time for sanding down and do you know any other alternatives to this as i do not really want to use varnish
thankyou very much
from linda

Dear Linda,

I would not recommend putting another finish on your wall unit without taking off the first one.

I am not sure if your unit is oiled or has a urethane finish. If it is oiled only it would be simple to reapply teak oil to your piece without sanding.

If it has a varnish already on it the stain would only take - or penetrate where there is not varnish leaving you with a spotty mess.

I am not sure this is what you were hoping to hear unless your wall unit is oiled already.

Thanks for writing to me.

Angie Nelson

Decorating & Furniture

Angie Nelson

I can answer questions on designing and making your own floorcloth and which areas of your home/office/work space are and are not suitable. I have used a variety of materials over the years and will recommend what I have found to be the best suitable for a lasting piece.

Past/Present clients
My clients range from manufacturer showrooms, interior designers, catalog companies and individuals from coast to coast.