Decorating & Furniture/working with an interior designer

My questions involves working with a professional interior decorator. Do you know if there is an industry fee standard for overseeing a project? We have obtained a design, and are considering having the designer oversee the construction. In doing this, she will require that we make certain purchases through her. I would like to know if there is a standard up-charge fee in the industry, and, if not, what you would consider a reasonable fee to be. Thanks.

There is no standard markup.  It varies by the project's complexity and your designers' relationship with their suppliers.  

Normally, markup on purchases "still" save you, the consumer money because it's a price you would never get on your own.  

If the designer is reputable, honest and straightforward, and you like his/her work, trust that you will be treated fairly.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology