Decorative Arts/Three ring mirror

I have a three ring mirror that I spray painted silver. It was an antique gold finish to start with. The silver spray paint made it look more of a gray than silver.  How can I give this an antique silver look now? It's just to plain now, kinda dissatisfied with the look that it now has. Please help!

Hi Teresa (my daughters name too)
Nice to hear from you.
This will be an easy fix but you need the right products from the craft store.
Get a small bottle of black antique gel.
If its not available get a small opaque glaze and a small black paint which you mix together using about 1/4 of the black to the bottle of glaze.
Wether you mix your own or get premixed the procedure is the same.
Brush it over the silver quickly (any which way as long as the crevasses are covered).
Then wipe it back with clean rags before it dries. As little or as much wiping back as you prefer.
On large areas like a mirror frame, do one side at a time as you don't want it to dry before its wiped back.
And be aware, paint quality varies so you may need a bit more black in the gel than stated but experiment a bit.
You will like the look.
Good Luck
PS. If you mix your own, keep leftovers as it lasts forever.

Decorative Arts

Eileen Cronk

If you are decorating your home on a budget I can answer most questions about what to look for when buying "good old stuff" at garage sales, yard sales or auctions. I can answer most questions about the refinishing, and repairing of wood items. I have had lots of experience in this area and made lots of mistakes over the years which I may help you avoid.

I have been haunting auction sales,flea markets etc. for 30 yrs. I have worked extensively at refinishing, and repairing all the old stuff I bring home. I also work for other people, and do repairs and refinishing for several antique stores.