Dental Hygiene/Maintaining Electric Toothbrush

Is it true, we should change our electric toothbrushes every 3 months?

If so, since they are more expensive than regular toothbushes, is there a way to clean them for them to last longer before replacing them; like soaking them in pexoide, etc.

Any tips will be appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Hi Sallie

Great question...but not a simple answer. I have been trying to give you an answer that is not just my personal opinion, but one based more on more comprehensive scientific information. This is called Evidence Based Dentistry.

<a href=></a>

There is an Evidence Pyramid and expert opinion is one of the lower tiers of evidence. I can offer you my opinions.

As an orthodontist I do recommend that many of my patients use an electric tooth brush. I know that the bristles will easily wear out. If you are getting three months out of an electric tooth brush head, I would say you are doing quite well. The bristles tend to flatten and fray. When used against teeth that have braces the trauma to the bristles is even more profound.

I recommend that you do change the head every 3 months and consider that as part of the cost of maintaining your teeth Buying the heads in packages of three or ore can be worthwhile.

Your peroxide comment is well taken. this may help to lessen the bacterial burden on the bristles. I am not sure whether it actually helps to  lengthen the service life of the bristles.

Sallie, the bottom line I think is keep using the brush, change it every 3 months, and enjoy your beautiful smile. Do keep flossing and receiving regular check ups and professional hygiene appointments as well okay.

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH

Dental Hygiene

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH

Basically anything clinical. I am not able to answer questions about equipment repair. I am also not able to comment on manpower issues, salaries, or legal questions.

I actually hold a Dental Specialty Certificate in the ADA recognized Specialty of Dental Public Health. Dental Public Health, if you do a background check, focuses on prevention of disease. Dental Hygiene is basically prevention oriented and seeks to prevent dental disease (cavities, periodontal gum diseases, etc.) from occurring. I happen at this time also to be the expert on Orthodontics here on allexperts. You can check the type and length of the answers I am providing as well as the feed back. I am a practicing orthodontist, and am constantly evaluating dental hygiene and referring patients back to their dental office to have the hygienist help them with cleaning and maintenance. I also used to be co-editor of my Dental School Newspaper at the Medical College of Virginia School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association- ADA American Association of Public Health Dentistry - AAPHD American Association of Orthodontists - AAO College of Diplomates of the ABO - CDABO OSAP - Office Sterilization and Asepsis Procedures Virginia Dental Association - VDA Academy of General Dentistry - AGD ( Fellow )

Upon Request

DDS Degree Medical College of Virginia MPH Degree - Masters of Public Health - Harvard University BS Degree College of William and Mary in Virginia Specialty Certificate in Dental Public Health - NIH & US Public Health Service.

Upon Request

Upon Request