Dental Hygiene/Coffee?

I want to start drinking coffee for a few reasons, and i would like to know how it can effect the teeth.(i am talking about pure black instant coffee nothing but water added)
i read online that it can help stop cavities from forming by killing bacteria but i also read that it is somewhat acidic, so is it good or bad?
should i be careful when drinking not to let it get all around my mouth or are the antibactial benefits better than its acidity levels on tooth structure?
Also should i be careful not to brush after drinking coffee if so how long?
And should i also rinse my mouth with water before brushing? and after drinking coffee?
sorry about all the question just curious
Thanks in advance

As far as I know, the only bad effect on your teeth can be staining over time.  Also, I doubt that coffee has antibacterial properties high enough to benefit your teeth or gums.

As far as brushing, I suggest that if you brush immediately after drinking the coffee.  You may very well prevent the staining from happening with this brushing.  Just use your usual fluoridated toothpaste.

Larry Burnett DDS

Dental Hygiene

Larry Burnett DDS

I can answer questions about prevention, elimination of, and non surgical treatment of periodontal diseases and early tooth decay. I can't answer questions concerning dental insurance payments.

Taught hygienists in a major dental hygiene school for about 20 years. Taught hands on courses concerning these categories to Dentists and Hygienists throughout the US and Canada including repeat lectures at the Annual Scientific Sessions of A.D.A. and A.G.D over several years. Personal hands on delivery of preventive hygiene services to disadvantaged children through a mobile school based prevention program.

RDH Magazine, Parkell, Dental India and some places of which I'm not aware.

Medical College of Virginia ( VCU) School of Dentistry.