Dental Hygiene/waterpik vs. flossing

I recently saw on the box of a waterpik this claim: Up to 2x as effective as string floss." Do you agree with this claim?
Can a waterpik be a substitute for string flossing?

I can't agree with the 2X claim until I see the evidence.  But if I had to choose between using only one of two possible mouth cleaning tools I would choose the Water PiK.

I think the Water Pik would be best for preventing gum disease, and the flossing might have the edge in helping to prevent tooth decay. I am a definite water pik fan.

Larry Burnett DDS

Dental Hygiene

Larry Burnett DDS

I can answer questions about prevention, elimination of, and non surgical treatment of periodontal diseases and early tooth decay. I can't answer questions concerning dental insurance payments.

Taught hygienists in a major dental hygiene school for about 20 years. Taught hands on courses concerning these categories to Dentists and Hygienists throughout the US and Canada including repeat lectures at the Annual Scientific Sessions of A.D.A. and A.G.D over several years. Personal hands on delivery of preventive hygiene services to disadvantaged children through a mobile school based prevention program.

RDH Magazine, Parkell, Dental India and some places of which I'm not aware.

Medical College of Virginia ( VCU) School of Dentistry.