Dental Hygiene/brushing teeth with salt

Question
Hello, Larry Burnett

I've heard from my parents that brushing teeth with salt can be healthier than using toothbrush ( and more effective at getting rid of teeth stains ).

What's your perspective on this?

Also, can I use any type of salt? ( e.g. table salt ). What salt would be the most appropriate to use to brush my teeth?

Thank you

Answer
Sorry for the Delay Jake,

You parents were correct, but specifically the salt should be baking soda, not table salt.

However the most important part of decay prevention is twice a day application of fluoride found in commercial tooth pastes.

In order to get the best of both toothpaste and baking soda, I suggest that for one of your two daily brushings you simply dip the toothbrush with the toothpaste on it, into the box of baking soda.  This picks up the correct amount of baking soda.  Brushing with this mixture gives you the advantages of both the baking soda and the fluoride in the toothpaste.  This will be great for prevention of decay and gum disease.

Merry Christmas,
Larry Burnett DDS

Dental Hygiene

Larry Burnett DDS