Dental Hygiene/canker sore

Hello, I have a large canker sore inside my bottom lip.  I have had it for 5 days.  My dentist gave me orabase which helps a little but I still wake up a few times a night.  I went to my doctor today and he gave me liquid lidocaine which helps for a while.  I have seen many different remedies and I am willing to try anything.  Should I go to an ENT or an Oral surgeon?  It is very difficult to eat.  Thank you for listening.

Hello Lynn,

Canker sores are small shallow ulcers that appear in the mouth and often make eating and talking uncomfortable. There are two types of canker sores:

Simple canker sores. These may appear three or four times a year and last up to a week. They typically occur in people between 10 and 20 years of age.
Complex canker sores. These are less common and occur more often in people who have previously had them.

I need to know which type of canker sore do you have. Whether it is acute or a chronic one.

You may have a canker sore if you have:

A painful sore or sores inside your mouth, which you said you have.
A tingling or burning sensation prior to the appearance of the sores ??
Sores in your mouth that are round, white, or gray in color, with a red edge or border. The appearance matters.

In severe canker sore attacks, you may also experience:
Physical sluggishness
Swollen lymph nodes

Although there is no cure for canker sores and they often recur, you may be able to reduce their frequency by:

1.Avoiding foods that irritate your mouth, including citrus fruits and acidic vegetables and spicy foods
2. Avoiding irritation from gum chewing
3. Brushing with a soft-bristled brush after meals and flossing daily, which will keep your mouth free of foods that might trigger a sore.

If you have an unusually large sores, Sores that are spreading, Sores that last 3 weeks or longer, Intolerable pain despite avoiding trigger foods and taking over-the-counter pain medication, Difficulty drinking enough fluids or high fever with the appearance of the canker sore, You need to visit a dentist.

Dental Hygiene

Nabiha Nayaz

Dental health means more than healthy teeth. Your mouth, teeth and gums offer a window into your body's overall health. Common problems, such as gum disease, can signal chronic diseases, such as heart disease and diabetes. That's why it's important to take charge of your dental health. Are you brushing and flossing enough? And in the right way? If not, you don’t just risk cavities, but health problems throughout your body. You can ask the dental health experts for the best ways to protect your smile… 1. What’s the best way to brush? 2. Do U need an electric toothbrush? 3. With so many toothpaste options, how to choose? 4. How to get rid of bad breath? 5. How to use a floss? 6. How to brighten ur teeth? 7. Are other dental hygiene products necessary? 8. Preventive measures for a perfect smile? and so on are the Frequently asked questions....

A registered Dental surgeon since 6 years. I stress on prevention of Dental problems and related disorders. "Prevention is always better than Cure" is the mantra for a healthy life.

B.D.S, Bangalore.