Dental Hygiene/Possible dry socket

1st photo
1st photo  

2nd photo
2nd photo  
It has been 48 hours since the tooth extraction of my lower right molar. The night of the extraction, I had a severe headache, but site of extraction wasn't too painful. (Is severe headaches common?) Yesterday, slight headache & site was a little sore, but not unbearable. Today, 48 hours after extraction, I am definitely feeling more pain at site of extraction...sometimes a sharp stabbing pain, enough where I needed painkiller. I'm worried I may have a dry socket, which I had several years ago when my bottom right wisdom tooth was removed. (With upper wisdom teeth removal, I had no issues.)

I am attaching 2 pictures I took. I'm not sure they're clear enough though.

Thank you!!

The pictures don't show the answer.  But if the pain is not lessening it could be a dry socket developing.  If it is not better by the time you read this, you should return to the extracting dentist for further advice.

I am sorry about the delay of this reply.

Larry Burnett

Dental Hygiene

Larry Burnett DDS

I can answer questions about prevention, elimination of, and non surgical treatment of periodontal diseases and early tooth decay. I can't answer questions concerning dental insurance payments.

Taught hygienists in a major dental hygiene school for about 20 years. Taught hands on courses concerning these categories to Dentists and Hygienists throughout the US and Canada including repeat lectures at the Annual Scientific Sessions of A.D.A. and A.G.D over several years. Personal hands on delivery of preventive hygiene services to disadvantaged children through a mobile school based prevention program.

RDH Magazine, Parkell, Dental India and some places of which I'm not aware.

Medical College of Virginia ( VCU) School of Dentistry.