Dental Hygiene/Painful Extraction Site

Question
Extraction Site
Extraction Site  
I had my upper right (impacted) wisdom tooth, and the molar right next to it removed 6 days ago and I still have a lot of swelling and pain. Is this an infection, or dry socket, or is this normal looking?

The pain is driving me nuts, ibuprofen barely touches the pain, and I'm having a lot of referred (I think) pain in my right ear.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Answer
The photo doesn't tell us the answer.  But with that much pain after 6 days I suggest you have the dentist that did the extraction took a look.  I wish I could help more but there are too many possibilities that require a real examination.  One of the possibilities is that the extraction was difficult and this could be normal healing after some traumatic surgery.

Larry Burnett, DDS

Dental Hygiene

Larry Burnett DDS