Dental Hygiene/Painful Extraction Site

Extraction Site
Extraction Site  
I had my upper right (impacted) wisdom tooth, and the molar right next to it removed 6 days ago and I still have a lot of swelling and pain. Is this an infection, or dry socket, or is this normal looking?

The pain is driving me nuts, ibuprofen barely touches the pain, and I'm having a lot of referred (I think) pain in my right ear.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

The photo doesn't tell us the answer.  But with that much pain after 6 days I suggest you have the dentist that did the extraction took a look.  I wish I could help more but there are too many possibilities that require a real examination.  One of the possibilities is that the extraction was difficult and this could be normal healing after some traumatic surgery.

Larry Burnett, DDS

Dental Hygiene

Larry Burnett DDS

I can answer questions about prevention, elimination of, and non surgical treatment of periodontal diseases and early tooth decay. I can't answer questions concerning dental insurance payments.

Taught hygienists in a major dental hygiene school for about 20 years. Taught hands on courses concerning these categories to Dentists and Hygienists throughout the US and Canada including repeat lectures at the Annual Scientific Sessions of A.D.A. and A.G.D over several years. Personal hands on delivery of preventive hygiene services to disadvantaged children through a mobile school based prevention program.

RDH Magazine, Parkell, Dental India and some places of which I'm not aware.

Medical College of Virginia ( VCU) School of Dentistry.