Dental Hygiene/mucocelle

Question
One mucocelle developed in my lips, is there any treatment for avoiding this??? i'm 24 years with 74 kg from Abudhabi..

Answer
Dear Ameen,

I answered this question for you about a week ago after sending it back. I guess it did not properly get posted go through the system. It has oddly reappeared in my box here. I have had several patients with this condition, both men and women, young and old. I did not keep a copy of my previous answer to you, but let me briefly restate what was said earlier.

Amucocoele is a common occurrence. Before discussing it, let me also mention another condition called a lipoma which can occur in various parts of the mouth as well, including the floor and vestibule of the mouth. I mention this to you Ameen in case you are not absolutely sure what you have. There are other possibilities as well. As always you should see a physician or dentist for a definitive diagnosis. He or she may in turn refer you to a separate specialist.

What I write here are only my opinions based on very limited information. My comments should not be viewed as any form of diagnosis, definitive or otherwise,  or any form of  treatment recommendation.  Indeed, in the ultimate analysis all final decisions, particularly clinical ones, should  only be made by qualified doctors who have had a chance to see you in person and who have had an opportunity to take and analyze proper diagnostic records.

Okay… having said  that…  your  questions focused that "mucocele" in you mouth, specifically the lip. You asked:   "  is there any treatment for avoiding this?  "  Ameen I am using the US spelling which is mucocele, although the British spelling is mucocoele; either is correct.

If indeed you have a mucocele, one of the common events s trauma to the lip. Basically saliva is pouring through small ducts in the lip. When these ducts are traumatized by biting the lip, by an accidental bump to the mouth, or by chronic sucking or pursing of the lips, etc. then a mucocele can form. Imagine the saliva not able to flow though the many ducts, Well, much like a garden hose that bubbles and may burst, the duct also can slowly swell and form the "lump" which you are experiencing.

As far as treatment to prevent this, well, carefully avoiding chronic or acute trauma to the lip is what would be recommended.

Ameen, I also had a family which I treated as orthodontic patients who also developed "mucocele". I can not fully rule out trauma as one of the contributing causes in these two case which affected two of the five family members I treated orthodontically. These two patients, one a 50 year old male, the other his 18 year old daughter, both had very high amounts of salivary calcium as confirmed by lab tests, and the cause of the mucocele in each case was actually a small calcium nodule which had developed in the salivary duct work. In each case the very calcium nodule was removed surgically. The family is of Middle Eastern heritage from a country almost immediately adjacent to the UAE. Both family members reported that they did not drink much fluid during the day, and may have been under hydrated.
Since this procedure they have not had any re-occurrences, and have increased their daily fluid intake. There are some renown dental institutions in the UAE, including one which has an excellent reputation, namely the  European University College in Dubai. If you have any questions, you may wish to look them up.

Finally Ameen, you may ask...well....what do I do now. If I may suggest the following:
1) Check with a qualified local medical or dental professional who can confirm that what you have is indeed what you suspect it is, namely a mucocele.
2) Determine the nature of the mucocele and then identify a treatment for it, including possible limited surgical removal.
3) Ask you doctor, based on his/her diagnosis and treatment outcome, what preventive procedures you can implement. If as in the case of my two patients, a calcium nodule is discovered, avoiding trauma to the head and lips may not be enough.
4) In my clinical experience, biting the lip, either accidentally in an acute manner, or chronically traumatizng it by chewing on it, have been the two most common causes for a mucocele. If by chance you are biting your lip out of habit, give that some thought

Ameen, I apologize that you have had to wait so long. I usually try to answer these questions <4-7 days. Good luck and write back. i am archiving this answer in case it again does not go through.

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH
Board Certified Orthodontist

Specialist in Orthodontics
Specialist in Dental Public Health
http://www.braces.com
http://www.leesburgbraces.com  

Dental Hygiene

Paul Supan, DDS, MA, MPH