Dental Hygiene/Help for research paper

Question
I am a student in a dental assisting class and have been trying to brainstorm and research to put my paper together.
Can injested products such as medication, or illegal drugs cause internal resorption? If it is not internal resorption, what kind of damaging effects can be caused by medication?
Thanks so much for your time!

Answer
Hi Joan,

Yours is a good and important question.  I don't know of any ingested product that would cause root resorbtion.  But medications, both legal and illegal can be a primary and important cause of tooth decay and periodontal disease.

Thats because many, if not most drugs have a tendency to inhibit saliva flow and cause dry mouth.  Both gum disease and tooth decay are caused by bacterial infections.  The saliva and the chemicals carried in the saliva play a huge role in bodies defense against the bacteria and repair of the damage caused by these bacte flow and cause dry mouth.  Both gum disease and tooth decay are caused by bacterial infections.  The saliva and the chemicals carried in the saliva play a huge role in bodies defense against the bacteria and repair of the damage caused by these bacteria and their acids.

So in summary to your important question: Dry mouth, caused by reduced flow of saliva, is one of the main known causes of gum disease and tooth decay.  Many common medications, both legal and illegal, cause lower saliva flow (hypo salivation).  Meth mouth, that terribly obvious rotting of teeth, for instance, is caused by the dry mouth caused by Methamphetimine and similar common legal and illegal drugs drying the mouth.

Larry Burnett DDS

Dental Hygiene

Larry Burnett DDS