Dentistry/Apicoetomy and bioplant graft

Coolhandluke wrote at 2013-01-11 03:56:28
I would love to see the evidence-based dentistry on either claims. If a tooth needs an apicoectomy it most likely has a reoccuring infection that has failed retreatment of the root canal. An apicoectomy is does two things, provide a seal at the end of the tooth (apex) and removal of any infectious tissue whether it be bone, soft tissue, or the apex of the tooth. If it was a large enough defect, i would suggest a bone graft. Then again, if its that large, then i'd rather go with an extraction and bone graft procedure, followed by an implant. Apicoectomies is a lost art, especially if we have newer, tried and tested ways at restoration.  

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude