Dentistry/Air Bubbles in fillings ?

Mjj wrote at 2011-11-30 03:18:21
I had this same problem and today my dentist refilled it because of an air bubble. It CAN happen!

Nursebc wrote at 2012-12-08 21:08:04
I disagree w/this answer.  Think about an air bubble being trapped in a filling, it has no where to go, thus when you bite and cause pressure you are essentially pushing the air bubble against the nerve, thus causing biting pain.  Also, if you are sensitive to cold it may be an air bubble, as the teeth contract due to the cold it squeezes the air bubble and it presses against the tooth thus causing nerve pain.  Anything that creates pressure. Try very warm water and if that relieves it then it most likely is an air bubble being compressed.  Nurse and I am having the same problem, going to replace the filling soon. Hope this helps someone.  Not all dentists keep up w/current research, sometimes you must do it.

Mark Bornfeld DDS

I can respond to all questions dealing with the practice of dentistry, from both the dentist`s and patient`s perspective. I am knowledgeable about all dental disciplines, from cosmetic dentistry to surgery, from restorative dentistry to root canal treatment. I have strong opinions about controversial issues in dental practice, including those topics which directly impact on the reputation of the profession in the eyes of both the lay public and our health profession colleagues.

Editor, Queens County Academy of General Dentistry newsletter; contributor to
29 years practicing general dentistry partnered with brother Steve as one-half of the