Dentistry/Pressure Inside Tooth

Ryan Dye wrote at 2008-10-10 18:00:47
This is first time I've come across another person with the same condition I had years ago.  I also injured my left front tooth - wish I could say it was sports injury, a brawl or something exciting.  It was something far dumber...  Anyways, when drinking something cold (or by holding an ice cube to the tooth) I would feel pressure build and then I could feel and hear a 'pop'.  All sensation would cease with the pop, at least for a few hours.  

That tooth had begun to turn darker and the cosmetics bugged me so I had a root canal and crown done about 12 years ago.  I told that dentist the popping and he had never heard of such a thing.  I've since told another dentist and my younger brother who is currently in dental school - both of which were intrigued, but had never heard of it before.  

Dave wrote at 2009-07-19 02:02:01
I am posting this because my grandson is complaining of exactly the same issue. has has not had the same tooth trauma but he does have a plastic filling on the popping tooth. So if there is another explanation or reccomendation I am interested in it. I will suggest seeing an endodontist but they are limited in dental insurance.

melissa wrote at 2009-10-30 05:28:24
I knocked my front left tooth loose about 3 weeks ago and it has been in the "healing process"..this pooping happens to me when I brush my teeth or cold/liquid come in contact. Apparently the nerve isn't healing and I am going in for a root canal on Monday...

good luck

darnell wrote at 2010-01-05 18:03:52
this really isn't a answer but someone dealing with the same issue. so i'm sayin your not the only one out there with this. my front left tooth also does the pressure build-up and then the popping sound and sensation after drinking something cold or when cold air keeps getting on it. i injured my tooth while snowboarding b/c i hit a skier and my tooth hit off his helmet violently causing a concussion and almost the loss of my tooth. so like i said this isn't a answer but someone who's dealing with the exact same thing as you are

Seth wrote at 2011-10-22 12:32:34
I have the same thing, but mine is caused by the braces I used to wear. It's just pressure releasing...

I'm a Dental Hygienist.

Wim wrote at 2012-07-03 18:18:56
I'm experiencing the same problem, the popping sound after drinking cold drinks.

Cari wrote at 2012-07-19 22:35:17
I get that too! i hit my front teeth on concrete about 10 years ago. Now when the weather is cold or i eat ice-cold food the pressure inside my tooth quickly builds up. if i encourage the cold onto my tooth it clicks and the pressure and pain goes immediately. I quite like it, but worried it's my tooth dying :(  

trex005 wrote at 2013-02-23 05:50:31
I didn't know that there were other people out there with this same issue.  My tooth has been building up the pressure and then "cracking" for roughly 20 years.  I have no knowledge, nor has any dental professional had a clue of what is happening so I could only formulate the following hypothesis.

Perhaps there is a hairline fracture leading into the pulp cavity though which at some point air has passed through.  As you cool the tooth, the pressure in the tooth actually decreases and at some point air slips through the hairline fracture into the pulp cavity.  The air moves quickly enough to make a popping noise and once the pressure is balanced, you no longer feel the discomfort either.

It would then stand to reason that as the tooth slowly warms up the pressure slowly balances.

I admit this hypothesis has a number of gotchas, but it's the best I can come up with.

lauraT wrote at 2013-07-24 12:39:05
my son has the same thing. he went to dentist and the dentist said he has never heard of anything like this in his 4 years of dentistry practice.

this helped us, thanks  

blackbird wrote at 2013-09-27 19:34:50
I experienced the same thing. I injured both my front teeth in a horseback riding accident. The horses head came up and hit me in the mouth. It chipped my left front tooth but my right front tooth seemed fine. I had the dentist fix my chipped tooth, but soon after my right tooth began popping when it was hit with cold air or liquid. When it popped it relives the irritation of the tooth. My dentist thought I was crazy. After about 8 years of this my popping tooth started to turn black and die. They performed a root canal and it hasn't popped since. That was about 15 years ago. The root canal wasn't painful because the tooth was mostly dead. My dentist bleached the tooth back to almost its original color and everything has been fine since! Good luck!

heviarti wrote at 2014-01-08 05:49:31
I have this sensation in several open teeth. My hypothesis is that the infection in the tooth creates gas as part of its metabolizing sugars. The gas exits causing the popping sensation. I wish I could afford a dentist.

Marcus wrote at 2014-01-10 17:29:40
I also have this similar issue with my front left (Upper) tooth. In highschool both of my front teeth took some good trauma from an elbow while rebounding (He had better "hops"). consequently both teeth were pushed backwards to the point they nearly touched the roof of my mouth, I popped them back into place, taking little consideration. Only recently has it began to become a greater issue, 9 years later, and only with my front left. It will pop after anything cold comes into contact with the tooth, generally water.

Joseph Rich wrote at 2014-02-20 18:43:12
I've the same issue with only my upper left canine for over 10 years. No trauma induced this odd occurrence. No discoloration or looseness. Just as you guys, it accumulates pressure when introduced to very cold liquids or air and then pops, cracks, clicks or whatever you want to call it but not loud enough for anyone else to hear. Sorry I couldn't give a definite answer on this subject, just wanted to let you other "tooth poppers", you are not alone!

d wrote at 2014-05-12 21:34:58
I have the same thing, cold water is making the tooth contract like when metal expands, like the car after you shut the engine or the baseboard in your house, when the tooth contracts it relieves pain temporarily.

Sst wrote at 2014-09-11 15:01:40
Thought I would share, I looked all over for people with the same problem. Basically I will swish water or any cool liquid around in my mouth to produce the click or pop. Recently I have started rating the sound and feel of the click. Generally most clicks are barley audible, but every once in a whole you will get one that feels amazing. Otherwise it only occurs in my front right tooth.

chi guy wrote at 2014-10-15 02:44:57
Ditto,!!! Tooth Poppers in the House

love my tooth popping skills

mc wrote at 2014-10-28 18:34:24
I totally have the same thing.  My tooth makes a quick cracking sound most of the time it is exposed to sudden cold (like it is contracting).  I have no metal in that area.  Have had this for a year or so and then just got a new crown.  I thought the cracking would be over, but nope... still there!

KK18 wrote at 2014-11-12 15:18:37
I am just going to add myself to this list!  When I was in my teens I had one tooth that would not grow in.  There was definitely a tooth because it was visible in all of my x-rays.  

I went to a orthopedic surgeon, and he operated on my tooth to pull it down.  However, mid surgery, we realized that the supposed "eggshell-like" bone that lines the gums had grown to be very strong where my tooth was supposed to come in.  To continue the procedure, they had to saw through my gum bone to reach the tooth and pull it down.  

Perhaps this popping sensation has something to do with a lack of bone around the tooth. Or the difference in temperature among the exterior of the tooth, the inside of the tooth, and the surrounding support around the tooth.  Just a hypothesis.

M wrote at 2015-05-15 20:45:16
KKM18, I think your response it accurate.  I used a sharp toothpick and went too far and injured my tooth at the room, the front left, (3rd one?)   It doesn't have any nerve sensation anymore (five years now) but when I eat really cold, it makes and expanding sound.

I really, really hope this thing isn't dying.

I told my orthodontist of what I did at the time, and all he said was "uh oh."  

Amanda wrote at 2015-07-02 18:44:07
I have had braces twice and this second time I had Invisalign. The dentist had to shave in between all of my front teeth to make sponge bob square pants gaps so my teeth would fit when the Invisalign was over.  I have beautiful teeth now but my upper left canine has sever pain in the root under my left nostril. When I press under my nostril I can feel pressure all through my caninetoothand it actually makes it feel better. Also I want to add to the list of tooth poppers because the roots of this tooth pops also when I experience cold. I better not have to have root canal after two sets of braces. My teeth are perfectly white and no abscess or anything that I can see visibly. Just started happening and I have no clue why. Dentist on Tuesday  

Meli wrote at 2015-09-07 14:29:55
I have several crowned teeth. Anytime I eat something such as yogurt or ice cream I feel pressure build up in my front crowns then a pressure release. .. Popping, crackling... Has anyone found out what it is. I've mentioned it several times to my dentist and he has no clue.

Power wrote at 2015-09-20 15:59:33
I too am suffering a similar sensation. Contact with cold liquid almost instantly creates a sensation of pressure relieved by what feels like a tiny click and then all is normal again.

I had a white composite filling in one of my lower left molars (L7) around five years ago, part of which recently broke away necessitating the replacement of the entire filling. I have only started noticing the sensation since the filling was replaced although I can't work out precisely where.

It is also next to a tooth (L6) that had a root canal with white composite filling so the general area is a little worse for wear. Although I'm fortunate enough to have dental insurance, I'm sincerely hoping it's not a a crack or fracture.

cassie wrote at 2016-02-09 19:29:09
Also have this popping in my left canine. My orthodontist pulled my baby tooth there and then attached my braces to a small part of the adult tooth that was through the gums and pulled it down. It has been slightly discolored and sensitive to cold ever since.

Corina wrote at 2016-06-13 07:27:11
I also have the same problem. 6 years ago, I had to have several baby teeth pulled but they put me under because I couldnt calm down enough. While I was asleep, they accidentally pulled an adult tooth then shoved it back in the extraction site. Ever since then, if I'm eating ice cream or something cold, I begin to feel pressure in the tooth and if i continue touching it with something cold, it will pop. It makes me cringe every time... /.<

NotARobot wrote at 2016-07-21 15:25:38
This is hilarious.  I started googling to find out what was happening with my tooth. This page comes the closest, but my story is slightly different.

Five years or so ago, I had a crown put in on a back upper molar. A couple years later, I went in to the dentist after a week or so of being sick because I had major tooth pain back there.  The dentist thought there was nothing wrong with the tooth and that it was connected to my sinus issues.  Sure enough, as I got completely well, my toothache went away.

Earlier this year, I got sick again (nothing major, but there were sinus issues).  Once I was on the upswing, tooth pain in the same area started.  I was pretty sure it was connected to my sinuses.  Sometimes I would feel a very mild popping or draining sensation inside my tooth, and the pain would lessen.  I went to the dentist and the endodontist, and again, they could see nothing wrong with my teeth.  Tooth work did not seem warranted, though the endodontist said I could get a root canal if I wanted.  Decided to not get one and hope that the pain (which comes in waves) would eventually subside.

It has gone away some, though I do get pain and slight popping sometimes.  The biggest contrast for me is that ice water and brushing my teeth actually soothes the pain when I get it.  Also, for some reason, the pain seems to come back after I eat cereal.

Anyway, this morning on my way to work, I got a chicken and biscuit sandwich.  The chicken temperature was HOT. I bit in, and the tooth pressure and pain built and hurt like the dickens!  And then I felt/heard a popping sensation, and the pain left.  It has felt fine for the last few hours.

All that to say, thanks for letting me know that I am not crazy.  Sounds like a lot of you have felt something at least similar.

I would love to know if anyone finds out why this happens.

Bhamps wrote at 2016-09-03 08:37:15
I had 3-4 baby teeth till age of 20. When Dentist pulled them out made braces. Upper tooth (Right  to right upper canine) was a baby tooth and it was was pulled out and I decided to not to get artifical tooth implant II left it empty without implant).  Now it has been more than 5 years of treatment. My right upper canine started taking its place and I feel Tooth Clicking at that tooth when I eat somthing cold like cold water or ice cream.  It also gives sudden painful sensation for a second it that's it.  What I believe is Tooth Clicking/poping happens when there is a NO OR weaker tooth.I will get it checked by dentist because I am sure if you delay a dentist it could be painful both physically and monetary.  

thongbong wrote at 2016-09-26 14:03:12
I'm glad I'm not going crazy. I've had this tooth popping thing happen to me for a while now. My left canine turned darker when I got my braces in high school. 15 years later, it still pops when I drink something cold. Not all the time though. Glad we are all Ok. =D

Mark Bornfeld DDS

I can respond to all questions dealing with the practice of dentistry, from both the dentist`s and patient`s perspective. I am knowledgeable about all dental disciplines, from cosmetic dentistry to surgery, from restorative dentistry to root canal treatment. I have strong opinions about controversial issues in dental practice, including those topics which directly impact on the reputation of the profession in the eyes of both the lay public and our health profession colleagues.

Editor, Queens County Academy of General Dentistry newsletter; contributor to
29 years practicing general dentistry partnered with brother Steve as one-half of the