Dentistry/Cheek Atrophy

Liz wrote at 2011-05-05 23:54:12
I have the same issue following dental implants-I now have a large indentation on one of my cheeks.  Atrophy? Can it be regained?

Audrey wrote at 2012-08-14 01:26:04
Like Brian's wife, I have also experienced a caving in of my cheek after three dental implants of upper back teeth. In preparation for the implants I two prior sinus lifts (bone grafts) and some additional bone was inserted again at the time the implants were placed. I had no pain or notable experience during or after the implants; the concaving of my cheek was not immediate...and I didn't notice it until 3 months after the implants. From that point until recently, it has gotten worse, and there's an ugly line of demarcation where the atrophy ends and normal tissue begins. I have seen various doctors, including an ENT doctor (MD) and a top maxillofacial surgeon (DDS/MD), had an MRI and CAT scan, and no one has ever seen anything like this before or can tell me what caused it. The diagnosis is "atrophy of the buccal fat pad" due to 'complications of implants." I am having plastic surgery to correct the aesthetic...but since the condition worsened gradually, I worry that the atrophy is still (imperceptivity) progressing.

Any advice? Any explanation?

Thank you for any insight or light you can shed...

Audrey wrote at 2012-08-14 01:29:16
I posted this comment in the thread that Liz was following; perhaps she will see it here, so I'm posting it here as well.

Any advice? Any explanation?

judy wrote at 2014-11-06 20:06:56
In October 2013 I had 2 teeth extracted and had a sinus lift on the top right side of my mouth.  I had already lost one tooth, so I am having 2 dental implants and a bridge done.  After the 2 implants, my right cheek pad caved in.  My regular dentist is finishing the bridgework. I did not have any bone left before the sinus lift and had flap gum surgery done in the 90's. I have never used Botox or any cheek filler in my life.  I just saw a plastic surgeon thinking about a cheek implant and he said no.  I plan on seeing other Plastic Surgeons, but really do not know what to do. Any advise or explanation?

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired