Dentistry/PFM and cerec crown

Dr. Mike wrote at 2012-01-28 04:01:18
I disagree with your answer about a cerec crown not being as good.  I agree, hold is the best. The problem with a PFMis that there is a strong gold core with a weak feldspar hoc porcelain on top witha flexural strength of only about 90MPa. So you see a fair amount of crowns break off their porcelain as it sheers from the gold coping. If you loose a contact or occlusal contact, you need to replace the whole crown. The new EMAX crowns that can be done with the Bluecam have a flexural strength of about 400 MPa. Hence , they are less likely to break. The anatomy is fantastic and the marginal fit equals that of a lab. Remember, when you take an impression, there is error involved with the pvs, stone, casting.... An optical scan has no distortion..

andy wrote at 2013-07-16 02:16:29
Dr. Carl Misch is the authority in this field. This doctor is just living in 1900s and telling everyone the same answer.

Win wrote at 2014-01-12 17:13:56
Yes but Emax are not biologically inert, read the entire article that they quote from by Brackett, Wataha, and others.  I'm not sure cell damage is worth the risk in the short term and potentially who knows in the long term? Studies have only been in the short term. And the article says that they are NOT not biologically inert. Not biologically inert and not non-cytotoxic as Ivodent would have us believe. See below. Incidentally you may have to search for the article with a less biased engine than Google as it just takes you to the Ivodent excerpt that conveniently leaves out all the damning conclusions. Interesting Google!

"SIGNIFICANCE: Our results suggest that lithium disilicates are not biologically inert, and that many have a similar cytotoxicity dynamic regardless of small differences in composition or processing."

In vitro cytotoxic response to lithium disilicate dental ceramics.

2008: Martha G Brackett; Petra E Lockwood; Regina L W Messer; Jill E Lewis; Serge Bouillaguet; John C Wataha

Dental materials : official publication of the Academy of Dental Materials 2008;24(4):450-6.

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.