Dentistry/tooth decay and gastric by-pass

BPG wrote at 2009-03-19 19:53:36
Bravo for your question. I too underwent gastric bypass in 2002, April. I had some tooth problems from diabetes being not well controlled. Well, Since my surgery my diabetes is under great control but my teeth have gone to ----! I only have 2 teeth on the bottom, both with below gum decay, molars, 1 with below gum decay and 3 capped teeth that a slivers of a tooth. I can't get any help with dental implants, and now my uppers are thinning, chipping, below gum infections, and 2 that have to pulled! I take my vitamin b,d,etc. supplements, I take my calcium, and I just haven't been myself. I don't smile any more I have been raped since 2002 in dental work that failed and yet I can not get any help or satisfaction. No doctor or dentist wants to say anything bad about each other!! Likewise, no one will take responsibility. I feel for you, Sad in Chicago!!!

debbie wrote at 2009-11-18 03:32:35
i also have mAJOR problems with my teath the past three years my denist has worked with me for we are not getting any where. the decay just wouldn't stop

we are putting into motion false teeth but they will be attached to four of my remaining teeth. he has noticed that my caped teeth are holding up well. so he is going to take my eye teeth and make them the anchor for the false teeth so that they will stay in my mouth my mouth is so sore i hate all the discomfort that i have

Karen wrote at 2010-08-25 15:43:47
I am having the same problem. I have had relatively good teeth, until I had gastric by-pass. My dentist has done everything and nothing has helped. I don't think there has been enough research done on this subject.

mia scarlett wrote at 2011-01-12 09:00:14
I also have experienced severe teeth sensitivity post gastric bypass - I am now nearly four years out and my teeth are extremely sensitive they hurt every time I eat now and I am not sure how to deal with it.

prismiss wrote at 2011-05-10 22:06:46
I had gastric bypass surgery in 2006, 5 years ago. My teeth have never been the best of teeth, but starting last year, I have been having a lot of cavities. I had 9 6 months ago, and I went to the dentist yesterday, and have 7 more. That's 16 in one year!! I go to the dentist every 6 months, I brush my teeth every day, sometimes 3 times, and I floss at least once a week. But, still, 16 cavities in one year. They are forming at the gum line. My blood work comes back negative for any vitamin deficiencies. I do eat a lot of sweets, but this has not changed since my gastric bypass(except for about 2 years after surgery when it made me deathly sick to eat sugar). Just thought I would add to this when I saw this posted.

Addie wrote at 2011-06-17 16:28:12
I am so glad to hear that I am not the only only one who has had this issue. I have been trying to figure out what is going on with my teeth all of a sudden. I had gastric bypass in 2002. My teeth have been great most of my life with a cavity every once in awhile. I broke a tooth in April of this year. I went to the dentist and have now had 3 crowns, a root canal and a bridge. It also looks like I need another root canal. What can i do to stop this? All advice appreciated!

Cookie Mom wrote at 2011-11-21 16:20:06
I think the time for the mediacal and Dental field to say they have nener heard of Dental problems post Gastric By-pass is gone. I have been on many Gastric By-pass forams and every one has horror stories of great teeth falling apart. I am post op 11 years. Two years ago I got my braces off after 2 years of having them on. Now I am replacing all my Teeth. I had all my dental done before braces with i root canal and 4 teeth pulled to make room. NowI am losing all my teeth isn just 2 years. There is deffinatly a link between gastric by-pass and tooth Loss.  

AmyOB wrote at 2011-12-02 18:24:58
My teeth are almost falling out of my head.  I am a compulsive brusher, and that may contribute to the enamel loss, but they are all yellow.  Since gastric bypass in 2000 I have needed 4 root canals, 3 crowns, and more fillings than I can count.  No dentist wants to hear that there is a link between dental problems and GB.  Maybe the research takes too much time??

Theresa wrote at 2012-12-13 12:26:36
My teeth were fine until recently. I had gastric bypass a bit over 3 years ago with maybe 3 cavities in my entire life.  The last visit to the dentist revealed the need for 12 fillings and two crowns.  I am terrified at what's going to happen down the road.  

carlakink wrote at 2014-02-10 07:26:30
I just wanted to let you all know that after post gastric bypass and all my teeth breaking and falling out and turning black with decay and looking like I was a meth addict ... I finally got my dentist to realize there is a connection from my gastric bypass and my tooth decay and loss I now have no teeth at all they all had to be pulled cause they were broken or infected I got down to 8 teeth and everyone of them were broken and decayed.  my dentist got all my records for the last 15 years and compared xrays and all dental work and my pan o gram xtrays and he noticed not only did I loose my teeth my jaw shrunk considerably. I will admit my gastric bypass was not problem free but it took almost 5 years to start attacking my teeth. I truly think this needs to be told to all patients that are getting ready for the surgery that there is a big chance that they will end up with dentures cause for a lot of people that might just be a game changer I had awesome teeth before surgery. I have gone through almost every side effect there is from gastric bypass so I have to say nope... not a fan and I lost over 200lbs... cant eat , I have no teeth and malabsorbation, as well as neuropathy in both arms and legs... just saying yeah I have lived longer then the initial 5 years they gave me at 400 lbs... but my quality of life is not worth it nor was the damage it has done to my kids , husband, mother and sister... I wish I would have had the strength to shut my mouth and gone to weight watchers... probably best weight loss system out there. all my love to my fellow bypass peeps im sorry for your pain and I get it. love , Carla  

Buiesgirl wrote at 2014-05-19 02:22:03
I too have lost all my bottom teeth and only have 9 left on top that are rapidly decaying. I had gastric bypass surgery 5 years ago and my dentist also claims that my bypass has nothing to do with my teeth decaying. In the past 9 months I have not only lost my teeth, but have developed severe carpel tunnel requiring surgery, my right eardrum has unexplainably developed a large perforation and will also require reconstruction,  my vrtibraes at c2 and c5 are cutting into my spinal cord requiring a major surgery, I have lost my short term memory an concentration(this began about 3 years ago) and I don't know what other problems I have. Two weeks ago I woke up with an indention in the center of my forehead,  my doctor says I had to have gotten up while sleeping and hit my head, NOT!!! She has ordered blood test and my vitamin d was low, everything else was good, so she ordered 2000 mcg over the counter and sent me home. Finally after several visits for numbness and pain, falling and headaches she ordered an MRI of my neck which clearly shows a serious problem.  She sent me to a neurologist and he ordered the emg that confirmed the carpel tunnel also. He is referring me to another PCP to find some answers. Thank God someone is finally listening to me.  I truly believe my body is being deprived of something I need.

CLH wrote at 2014-05-20 17:45:24
Wow, this has been an eye opener for me.  I had bypass in 2005 and in the last two years my teeth have started to fall out starting with the molars.  I am very upset and am trying to figure out what to do now.

Christine wrote at 2014-05-30 21:20:20
I had the bypass surgery done in 2004. I had PERFECT teeth before surgery, now I have NONE. I am devastated. I wish there was some help for patients that have this problem. Dentures and implants are expensive.

Losing teeth wrote at 2014-12-29 13:25:30
I had my roux-en-y in 2002. In 2003 my teeth started falling apart. It's been terrible. I had beautiful, lovely, teeth before. I'm not quite to the point of dentures, but I'm getting there.

If I had known then what I know now, I wouldn't have had the surgery. That surgery has done more to damage my health than the weight ever did. My heart was healthy, my cholesterol was great, my teeth were intact... the thing I *didn't* know about was an A1C insulin resistance problem. Yup. Hormonal imbalance.

I've since become a certified herbalist and I'm starting to regain my health. If I'd known then what I know now, I wouldn't have needed the surgery. I highly discourage anyone from getting this surgery.  

tricia wrote at 2015-01-23 18:06:34
I had gastric bypass in 2010...i had a full mouth of good teeth.  In the last yr I've lost alot.  I went to the dentist yesterday and my options were limit.  I can have a great set of new teeth for $10,000...well who has that laying decided to have my teeth pulled on the top and get dentures. One of my dentists have seen this problem before in weight loss patients. She said your saliva changes after surfer and that's why the teeth start decaying and breaking off.  The new dentist said he's never heard anything about the connection.  I'll be 38 with dentures..ugg..but $2,000 is better then $10,000 and the way my mouth looks is horrific 😢  

Tara wrote at 2015-05-06 06:33:43
I don't see why it's so difficult for doctors to make the connection that our lack of nutrition would be a contributing factor in our dental problems. I had gastric bypass in 2008. Prior to surgery I may have had one or two fillings in my lifetime. I was 27 at the time of surgery. Now 5 yrs post op I am getting ready to have my 4th root canal, I've also had 4 fillings done all in the last year and I'm not finished. Dentist said it was a total of 13 teeth. I regularly went to the dentist every six months and have never come back to something like this. However it's not far fetched to believe this surgery has to do with the many dental issues I've been having and reading about here. No matter how well we eat we are constantly lacking something. A lot of post ops are commonly vitamin d deficient which is needed for  bones and teeth. Besides that everything we take in our bodies we don't even absorb half so it's nearly impossible to get what u need everyday. I have more health problems now then ever and am really regretting it.  

Jeff Dalin DDS

general dentistry questions with topics ranging from cosmetic dentistry to dentistry for children

Fellowships in American College of Dentists, the Academy of General Dentistry, and the International College of Dentists.