Dentistry/jaw bone???, "ridge plate"??? coming out through my gums

Censor wrote at 2009-09-01 12:37:27
I have the same thing happen.  my bone actually broke through with a needle like tip.  The dentist was shocked at it.  Like the first person this happened after having a tooth pulled, the ridge is right where the tooth came out.  The dentist called it a "taurus".  not sure if the spelling was right.  being my ridge was already showing he ground it off and told me "no charge".

Banstar wrote at 2013-04-16 16:18:28
I'm going through a similar situation at the moment (wisdom tooth extracted, healed fine, no bone fragments left behind, interior ridge of my lower mandible at the extraction location began protruding through my gums at two spots approximately three months after the surgery took place).

I went back to the oral surgeon (great guy) and we are giving it one month to heal on its own before we consider taking surgical action (essentially making a small incision, pulling the gums back, grinding the ridge down a bit, and then suturing the incision closed). He recommended I avoid smoking, drink plenty of liquids to avoid a dry mouth, and to put a little vaseline over the protrusion prior to going to bed.

For the pain I've been taking the 800 mg of ibuprofen and that seems to work well. It's not as uncommon as you might think. With such a large socket left after the surgery, the sutures draw the gums together over the socket which stretches them out over the widest part of your lower mandible. To complicate matters, the interior of your lower mandible at this particular location tends to be the "sharpest" section which can cause it to cut, or slice, its way through the gums which are stretched thin by the aforementioned suturing process.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude