Dentistry/cavitron use

Denise Whitney RDH wrote at 2011-07-16 15:31:40
I am a hygienist who switched from polishing last to polishing first.  The criteria are: polishing removes stain, plaque and food debris on the tooth.  If done prior to scaling it minimized the amount of scaling. Also for those patients who have poor home care the hygienist's time is not wasted picking food out of teeth.  Once the tooth surface is cleaned from this debris the field of vision is better and less trauma is risked for the patient.  Ultrasonic scaling is last and will help irrigate the residual polish from any pocket area.  If there is microabrasion I would like to reference the evidence based studies that conclude these findings.  I switched to this order based on the master's program of dental hygiene conducted by a prominent continuing education group

Tiffany RDH wrote at 2013-01-30 02:03:51
I have always been under the impression it doesnt matter. Sometimes if you are trying to remove sticky plaque off of areas (right by the gumline) polishing before using a ultrasonic would be best. That way you do not use the ultrasonic on sensitive areas. Polishing is not needed in a cleaning and the new way of teaching is to "spot" polish areas that have stain or access plaque not removed by scaling.  

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.