Dentistry/Root canal

I have been undergoing root canal treatment on an upper pre-molar.  I had just had my second treatment and my tooth split in half (back to front). Is there any treatments that might be possible other than removal of the tooth.

Hi Grace,
If the tooth split directly in half, usually extraction is the best course of action.  Particularly with a pre-molar tooth.  Sometimes with molar teeth:  root amputation with crown lengthening is an option to remove the fractured segment and save the remaining tooth structure.  However, from you describe, extraction seems to be the only option.

I would follow-up with an endodontist (root canal specialist) to be certain there are no other options to save the tooth.

Best of Luck,
Ketan Amin, DMD
Austin Center for Endodontics (Root Canal Specialists)
Austin Center for Endodontics

Ketan Amin, DMD

Graduating from Harvard School of Dental Medicine, I received a broad understanding of both medicine and dentistry. I continued my training at New York University, as a dental specialist in endodontics, which concerns root canal therapy, related surgeries, as well as diagnosing and managing various forms of pain occurring in the head and neck

Dentistry; Specialist in Endodontics (Root Canal Therapy).

American Association of Endodontics American Dental Association American Academy of OroFacial Pain

Harvard School of Dental Medicine-Doctorate in Dental Medicine (DMD) New York University College of Dentistry-Certificate, Endodontics