Dentistry/Root canal

Question
I have been undergoing root canal treatment on an upper pre-molar.  I had just had my second treatment and my tooth split in half (back to front). Is there any treatments that might be possible other than removal of the tooth.

Answer
Hi Grace,
If the tooth split directly in half, usually extraction is the best course of action.  Particularly with a pre-molar tooth.  Sometimes with molar teeth:  root amputation with crown lengthening is an option to remove the fractured segment and save the remaining tooth structure.  However, from you describe, extraction seems to be the only option.

I would follow-up with an endodontist (root canal specialist) to be certain there are no other options to save the tooth.

Best of Luck,
Ketan Amin, DMD
Austin Center for Endodontics (Root Canal Specialists)
Austin Center for Endodontics

Dentistry

Ketan Amin, DMD