Dentistry/unfinished tooth extraction

Rodney wrote at 2014-03-14 15:21:44
I am a Dentist and I want to give my opinion and answer your question.

Removal of impacted third molar on an average really takes an half to one hour depending on the difficulty of the case. Now due to frequency of movement of surgical instruments in and out of the oral cavity, irritation on the corner of the lip is sometimes an expected result, but that’s when simple yet necessary management to the situation (“IRRITATION”) was not done. The dentist should have put some sort of lubricant on the corner of the lip including the surrounding soft tissues.

Now since there was an irritation already and the patient is in pain, on my opinion and personal discretion to the situation, I’ll do the same. I’ll stop the procedure and dismiss my patient but with necessary medication such as anti inflammatory drugs and antibiotic, plus informing my patient that if we will the stop the procedure, he has to expect swelling. Definitely, there will be swelling since the tissues around the tooth and the tooth itself we’re also irritated during the procedure and that’s a normal reaction of the body if there are irritations. Worst possible complication of an unfinished tooth extraction is infection so antibiotic drug has to be taken. No worries regarding swelling. There can be swelling without infection. So the medication has to be strictly done like the antibiotic drug. The role of the anti inflammatory drug would relieve the pain but most especially the swelling, but it takes time. So you have to wait for like 3-5 days before they can continue the procedure, and at least in that time, the irritation of the corner of the lip is already done.

I hope I was able to enlighten you with the situation of your friend.

Rodney Asuncion, D.M.D

Dentistry

Dr Craig W Peck ( B.Med.Sc., B.Ch.D., Clin. Botox, Cosmet. Derm.)