Dentistry/4 weeks after apicectomy

Question
QUESTION: Hi, I noticed and felt a blister appearing. It was white with a dark semi circle around it. I pierced it with a needle and there was a small amount of pus which I removed with a tissue and encouraged it to bleed in the hope of removing all residual matter. 12 hours later it feels much better. Is it normal to have this side effect four weeks later? Or does this mean the apicectomy has been unsuccessful? Many thanks.

ANSWER: Hi Kat,

I'm sorry this is all going on. It's difficult for me to give you really accurate answers without being able to exam you, but it is NOT typical to have a draining area 4 weeks after an apicoectomy. However, that does not mean the surgery is failing. First, you need a diagnosis of what is causing the problem and even if is truly associated with an abscessed tooth. While it certainly seems suspicious, there can be other reasons for what is going on...like another tooth.

I would suggest that you go back to the person how did your surgery and be re-evaluated. Once you know for sure what the problem is, then you can address options for treatment.

I hope this helps.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

QUESTION: Gosh Gary, I had procedure on the British NHS and there is no follow up, just told to see how things go. Have been a bit 'snotty' nose/sinus for quite a while, even pre apicectomy.  Is this a possible sign of another situation?
Also, as expected, my margin around my crown is nasty looking. I was told that my gingivae would take up to six months to reform. Please give me your personal opinion. Kind regards, K.

Answer
Hi again Kat,

If I had to guess, and it IS a guess, it sounds like there is a problem with the surgery. It is also possible another tooth is involved. I am also surprised that your gingiva is that nasty looking. When we do surgery, the gingiva looks pretty good 5-7 days after the surgery. Even if you don't have a specific person to see at NHS, I would think you could go in for an examination, even if they treat it as a new problem, but I'm not familiar with how your system works. Whatever you can do, you really need someone to look at this and give you a diagnosis and options. This won't go away by itself since it's been 4 weeks.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Dentistry

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD