Dentistry/headache and bad taste after root canal

I had an abcess that was determined to be coming from a failed root canal. My endodontist performed a second root canal on the same tooth hoping to clean out the abcess. It has been 2 days since the procedure and I am experiencing a bad taste in my mouth which gives me a stomach ache and have had a headache for 2 days as well that does not get relieved by Tylenol.
Now it is the weekend and I am not sure if I should seek immidiate treatment or wait until Monday to call.
Advice please?

Hi Maria,

I'm sorry to hear you're having this problem. By all means call!!! It is our job to take care of patients, even on the weekend. Your endodontist should have an emergency phone number and will be there to help you or have someone covering his/her call. More than likely, it will involve calling in a prescription for antibiotics and maybe pain medication. I'm not sure where your bad taste is coming from, so you may need to be seen for that, but that's what we do, that's our job....even on weekends.

Hope this helps.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD  

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD

I am an Endodontist ( root canal specialist ) and can answer questions about root canals and their treatment. I cannot diagnose or treat online, but can answer general questions. I have been a specialist for 25 years and am Past President of the Washington State Association of Endodontists.

25 years practicing as a specialist

American Association of Endodonists, Past President Washington State Association of Endodontists.