Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question. i went to a dentist two months ago and had 2 fillings placed in bottom molars. one filling fell out and I have the tooth cracked now. opposite side is swollen from neck to eye slightly. due to have tooth pulled two days from now. Dr put me on penicillin and Lortab for pain. nothing is helping. tried ice and heat, Aleve, prednisone and pain patch. what can I do? any help will be appreciiated. no sleep and no relief is awful

An oral infection is a serious condition. There are certain things that are important to know. Here is some information for you that will hopefully help...

1.An infection comes from a source. Until the source (the cracked teeth) are removed you are fighting an uphill battle.

2.Sometimes an infection requires a different antibiotic. You may still be swollen because the particular bacteria in your infection may not be responding to what you are presently taking.

3.Ice always helps to slow down infection. Ice packs to the outside of your face on and off for 10 minutes at a time may help as well as ice chips in the mouth may also give relief.

4.Swelling in the face is always considered an emergency. If your swelling has moved up to your eye, the safest next step is to go to a quick care or emergency facility where they can monitor your infection and modify your medications.

5.Head position can help modify pain level. Lying down tends to set off oral pain, while sitting with your head more upright will help to reduce it.

6.Do not leave this up to friends and family's judgement. A doctor is necessary to assess your condition and guide you to get the proper care needed.

I hope that I have answered your question fully and given you good information you can use going forward. I hope that you are feeling better soon.

Marielaina Perrone DDS

I am a Family, Cosmetic, & Implant Dentist. I am well versed in virtually all of dentistry including dental surgery, dental implants, endodontics, periodontal disease, cosmetic dentistry procedures, dental phobia treatment, etc. Essentially if it is dental related I can help. Cosmetic Dentist Henderson Nevada Las Vegas Cosmetic Dentist Las Vegas Dental Implants

I graduated from Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine in 1997 with my D.D.S. degree and have been in private practice ever since. I currently maintain a private practice in Henderson, Nevada.

Dental School: Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine 1993-1997 Post Grad: Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine Advanced Education in General Dentistry 1997-1998