Dentistry/Problem following injection

Question
QUESTION: One week ago I has a crown preparation done on tooth #19.   The crown was done because the filling was very large and old and part of the filling was chipped away.   There were no other problems present.   The procedure went along without problem.  The numbing injection took a very long time to wear off - about 4 hours.   After the anesthetic wore off I had a tremor in my lower lip.  This lasted for about 2 - 3 days and then began to subside.
It continued to subside but it not completely gone yet.

What could have caused this to happen?   Will it go away completely?

I have called my dentist but he has not returned my call.

Thank you for your time

ANSWER: Dear Patricia,

What probably happened was that your mandibular nerve, the nerve we make numb to work on your lower teeth, became irritated from the injection.  This nerve supplies both feeling and movement to your lower teeth and your lower lip.  An irritated nerve can do many things.  When your Phrenic nerve is irritated, you get the hiccups.  Anyway, as long as you are getting better, which usually happens, there is nothing to worry about.  But it's a good idea to let your dentist know this happened.

QUESTION: Dear Dr. Finnk,

I continue to have improvement but not totally gone yet.   How long should I expect this to last?

Thank you again for your time.  I really appreciate your consideration.

Answer
Did you let your dentist know (as I suggested in my answer)?  Your dentist would be the best person to answer your question right now.  I have not seen these twitches last much longer than a week.  By 3 weeks, it should be completely gone.  If not, you must tell your dentist.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO