Dentistry/Resin to repair molar filling?

Question
Hello,
I am a 48 year old female with diabetes.  I have a large filling in the very rear molar that was coming out.  The dental tool used yesterday during my exam got stuck in the filling, so the dentist covered the molar top with a resin.  I was concerned about this repair because I think that the dentist sealed whatever bacteria was under that filling hole with the resin, and bacteria is now stuck under there and can grow.  Is resin a good way to fix that problem or should I go to another dentist as soon as I can?  There's no pain at all, but the filling is about 40 years old now.

Answer
From what you describe it sounds like there is decay in this tooth.The remaining portion of the old filling should be removed and the tooth will then get excavated to remove all of the underlying decay.At that time it could be restored with another filling , composite resin,porcelain or amalgam or  even gold.If there is not adequate tooth structure remaining to support a filling a full crown may be the restoration of choice.

Dentistry

Rafael Mosery,D.D.S.