Dentistry/2 small cavities

Question
QUESTION: Hi!

My daughter who is 4 has two small pits in both of her baby first molars on the bottom (occulusal part of each tooth). Our pediatric dentist said that he is going to watch them. They tried to take x-rays 6 months ago at her last cleaning but my daughter was having a difficult time with that whole process so the dentist said they will try again at her cleaning appointment in 2 weeks. Anyhow, I don't want even a small amount of decay to spread to her other teeth so is it better to have those pits cleaned out and filled now before they get worse? He said that he thinks the pits are only in the enamel. Any suggestions?

ANSWER: I don't subscribe to the concept of "wait and see" when it comes to decay.  In our office we use a technology that requires no numbing to remove the decay on a small, early cavity.  Placing a tooth colored filling is also quite painless.  The only difficulty is that some children at this age will not cooperate and sit still for the process.  In those instances one has to decide between using sedatives or working with the youngster over a series of appointments to gain the trust and confidence of the child so the procedure can be accomplished safely and effectively.  In that case one has to decided between these two very different options.

QUESTION: I don't like the wait and see concept at all. What technology is that? Thd dentist said they would have to give her gas? I'm considering changing pediatric dentists now. Should I call them and tell them to fix her teeth NOW. There is no financial reason to not plus we have great insurance. I have zero idea why he said wait besides the fact he said that the cavities may not progress.

Answer
The use of nitrous oxide and oxygen (what you call "gas") is universally accepted in pediatric dentistry as an extremely safe and effective way to calm a child and achieve the necessary cooperation to proceed with dental treatment.  The technology we use to avoid the dental drill and the use of local anesthesia is called air abrasion and can be very effective in the treatment of small, early cavities.

Dentistry

Dr. Randolph Myerson