I had an apicoectomy on Saturday, Nov. 24,2012.  Everything seemed to go well.  The nurse/asst. told me not to use ice, however, I am experiencing a decent amount of swelling.  Could you please tell me why they would tell me not to use ice?  I have called the office, but I have not been able to speak to the surgeon.  Everyone I speak to ssys, "If they told you not to use ice, then you shouldn't use it."  They haven't been able to give me an explanation as to why ice is not recommended in this case.

I just want to know.  Thank you for your help.

Laura - I wish I could tell you, but there should be no reason that you can't use ice, but only for the first 48 hours after the surgery.  After the first 48 hours ice can inhibit healing and that is why warm salt water rinses should begin daily after the first couple of days.

So I can't answer their reason for no ice.  I just hope the apico went well and you will heal well.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude