Dentistry/bridge problem

I have a 4 tooth bridge on the top left. One of the anchor teeth (eye tooth) developed a cavity in the back on the gum line. The cavity was filled a couple weeks ago. It was fine for the first couple weeks but as of the past few days the tooth is starting to get very sensitive.  I would guess I'd need a root canal? Is there any chance that a root canal can be done through the bridge or will I need to have it removed?  Since the bridge was expensive I'd really like to save it.

Hi Pam,

I'm sorry to hear you have this going on with Thanksgiving around the corner. In most cases, root canals can be done through bridges, we do them all the time that way. The after things are completed, we just put an amalgam or composite filling make in the hole we drilled to get access to the inside of the tooth. In maybe 5% of cases, we need to remove the bridge, so your chances are excellent to not need a new bridge.

Hope this puts your mind at ease.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD

I am an Endodontist ( root canal specialist ) and can answer questions about root canals and their treatment. I cannot diagnose or treat online, but can answer general questions. I have been a specialist for 25 years and am Past President of the Washington State Association of Endodontists.

25 years practicing as a specialist

American Association of Endodonists, Past President Washington State Association of Endodontists.