Dentistry/Crown

Question
Hi doctor, I have few questions. I'm a recent grad and wondering when placing implants, how much inter occlusal space needed minimum (how much min abutment)

Also, what is your criteria for crown placement. For instance a fractured #14 with both buccal cusps  (incisal half) missing....but still have  gingival 1/2 of buccal surfaces non decayed and solid and all lingual surfaces solid ..
Also a DO #28 shallow prep but with thin and undermined lingual and buccal distal walls on the proximal box.

Thank u

Answer
I would strongly suggest you get a copy of Carl Misch's Contemporary Implant Dentistry and read it cover to cover.In addition if you want to do any implant dentistry get the proper training for both restorative and surgical if you plan on offering these modalities.That being said,I would need at least 5 mm io space.#14 sounds like a candidate for a crown no problem.#28 I would restore with composite and explain to the patient the guarded prognosis and a possible future need for an indirect restoration (inlay/onlay or crown).Remember,if you explain all this to the patient in advance you are giving them reasons for your treatment decisions.After the case fails you are only providing EXCUSES.Give em the reasons and gain their trust,give them excuses,and lose their trust.

Dentistry

Rafael Mosery,D.D.S.