Dentistry/crown replacement

I have had a crown on one of my bottom molars since 2000. The crown was placed originally bc of having too large of a cavity. About 2 years later an endodontist had to drill through the top of it to perform a root canal. Now I have a crown where you can see the metal showing at the gumline and a translucent hole showing through where the dentist drilled through it. Anyhow, I didn't want to be too aggressive with replacing it so I have waited until now to have it replaced. Which type of crown should I have it replaced with? My dentist told me I can get another porecelain fused to metal crown or just a porecelin crown. I am leaning towards getting the metal with porecelain crown again because it seems logical that that type would be the strongest and the porelain fused to it would help it to still look natural. I don't care for how the all metal crowns look. Any suggestions?

Well it all depends on how much tooth structure is left after the crown is removed and how much room or clearance between the bottom and top teeth. So it's a decision that depends on clinical judgement of the dentist.
Since you had a porcelain fused to metal crown already I assume you have enough room for the all metal, porcelain fused to metal, or the all porcelain crown. As for which is stronger, nowadays we have strong porcelain that can withstand biting force, but there are other factors that has to be considered like your age, your biting force, amount of tooth structure remaining and thing like that.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Elsafi

Mohamed Elsafi, DDS, MS, FACP

I am a board-certified Maxillofacial Prosthodontist. I do head and neck prosthetic reconstruction for patients with congenital and acquired defects. This also includes trauma and cancer patients. I can answer questions about prosthetic rehabilitation of the head and neck area. I am also a board-certified prosthodontist and can answer questions about dental reconstruction including crowns, bridges, veneers, partial and complete dentures and implant restorations. I can also answer questions about TMJ problems. I can not answer about surgical reconstruction.

I am a board-certified prosthodontist and maxillofacial prosthodontist and have been practicing denitstry for over 15 years.

American Academy of Maxillofacial Prosthetics. American College of Prosthodontists.

I received my dental degree from University of Southern California. I did my prosthodontics residency at University of Florida and my maxillofacial prosthetics fellowship at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.

Chief Fellow at MD Anderson Cancer Center.