Dentistry/debridement treatment

Question
After full mouth debridement treatment my gums are whitish and the cavitron tool went on my gums cutting my gums, so they're also swollen. Why are my gums white? Also I was in severe pain the hygienist didn't care and was mean. I had several teeth cracked which needs fillings and another needed extraction, Hygienist used the tool in the cracks and gums causing severe pain. I have temporary tooth and hygienist stated he was taking the debris which is cement off temporary tooth, which now feels loose. Why are my gums white and should this procedure should have been done after I got fillings and extraction which would be over like a week later?

Answer
Dear frank,

I cannot answer why your gums are white, unless the hygienist used a hydrogen peroxide-containing disinfectant solution.

In our practice, we always try to clean the teeth before we restore (fill) them.  The calcium deposits and biofilms that attach to your teeth after they have not been cleaned for a long time, can cause both chronic and severe infections in your gums that can, in extreme cases, cause severe illness in both your brain and your heart.  Your dentist was correct to have you clean your teeth first.  On occasion, when we know that a patient tends to be very sensitive to a cleaning, we will perform the cleaning in concert with the fillings, so that the patient can be made numb for both, and will not feel any of it.  Now that you know this, you can do two things:  1. Make sure that you have your teeth cleaned professionally at least every 6 months.  This way, the calcium deposits will be at a minimum, and you will be much less sensitive at your cleaning.  2. Let your dentist know about this experience next time, before your teeth are cleaned.  This way, he/she may alter the way your cleaning is done, so that you will be less sensitive.

There is no way I would go back to a hygienist who is mean when you are sensitive.  Your gums should have regained their normal color by now.  If they do not by Monday, contact your dentist.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO