Dentistry/Dental post

Question
Hi
I recently found out I have a dental post , I had no idea of this and it also appears to have been put in without my consent.
The tooth recently broke, I went to have root canal and they dentist was shocked to find the post...
Its a long story but I figured out that when i had work done on that tooth a long time ago by another dentist (who terrified me and I never went back to after completion of treatment) After seeing said dentist I started experiencing severe sinus problems and bad facial pain.
I went and had ct scans and saaw specialist who all somehow missed this dental post and told me I have trigeminal neuralgia.
For 8 years I have been dealing with this pain, trying to live a normal life, only to find out it has been caused by this dental post,
My current dentist said my sinus is low down and is being affected by the post, also it is not in straight...  
Now I need to have it extracted, I am on a long waiting list to be seen by the NHS oral surgeons (16 weeks) and I am really upset and worried.
I dont know what the right thing to do, what to expect and what sort of repercussions, could you help me by explaining what I could expect please?
thank you
d

Answer
Jenny,

Wow, what a crazy story.

I am glad you were persistent in tracking down the probable cause for your pain.....even after all those other dentists missed it.

As part of this discovery, it shows how important it is, to not let any dentist, say they don't see anything....and then you just walk away from it.

Sometimes what works is to find a dentist who is also a board certified MD.....a medical doctor.  Perhaps an oral surgeon could be the right person in a case like this.

After going 8 years tracking down the cause, I would hate to see you wait 16 more weeks.  Call your oral surgeon's office and see if they have any cancellations.  You can also escalate your question to the office manager who may have more authority to tweak the schedule and squeeze you in.

Thanks for your question and I hope that the removal of the post provides you with the relief you need.

Jonathan
Patient Point of View  

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble