Dentistry/Ehlers-Danlos and loose tooth, pain

Question
Hello,
I have Ehlers-Danlos hypermobility type, diabetes, and a loose tooth x 2 weeks.  I am up late at night because the pain in my jaw is killing me.  I understand that the ligaments in my jaw do not hold the teeth strong and stable with EDS hypermobility type.  Is this pain something I will have to live with or do you have any ideas about possible treatments?  My dentist has heard of EDS, but he does not claim to be an expert on it, and we are learning together.  Thank you for your response.

Answer
Hi! As you probably know already, patients with your condition are prone to dental and gum disease, infection, and delayed healing. It is very important to be diligent with your home care, and have more frequent dental cleanings to help reduce the extreme effects in your mouth. One of the issues you may encounter is an overgrowth of your gum tissue, this is common, but can be reduced with a procedure called gingivectomy. The tissue will grow back, but at a much slower rate if you are keeping your teeth and gums their cleanest.

The looseness of the teeth may be helped with periodontal splinting. A wire is bonded to the backs pf the teeth, helping them to stay in place. This may help the tissue to re-tighten a bit, and give the teeth more support.

As for pain, NSAIDS such as motrin, advil, or aleve can help with pain. Make sure that you have something in your stomach before taking these drugs, drink a full glass of water, and do not lie down for 1/2 hour.

Some suggestions for you, a soft woven yarn floss will help you not to tear your delicate gums. A waterpick will help clean out below the gum line and stimulate blood flow necessary for healing. Use non-alcohol mouth rinses such as listerine zero. Use a super soft toothbrush, such as rotadent. Lastly, you may want to try a product to keep plaque and tartar to a minimum such as Periogen.

I hope that I have given you information that you needed. Best of luck to you!  

Dentistry

Marielaina Perrone DDS