Dentistry/growth on gum

Question
growth
growth  

growth 2
growth 2  
Hello,
 I am writing regarding a growth that has recently appeared on my 9 month old's gum. He has recently cut both his upper and lower front teeth all within the last three weeks. As the upper right tooth was beginning to break through the gum, we noticed an abnormal thickness to the tooth. As time went on it developed into a soft fleshy growth on the gum directly on top of the tooth. The growth does not seem to be affecting him in any way, or causing pain, but we do wonder if it with resolve itself or will need intervention. It does seem to bleed easily when it is brushed.
We have not seen a dentist as of yet, but have seen a dental hygienist at a public health centre who had no idea what it could possibly be. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.

Answer
This is probably an irritation granuloma which is a harmless growth that sometimes accompanies the eruption of a baby tooth.  It is not serious but usually bleeds easily and will usually not resolve by itself.  I would recommend that you make an appointment with a pediatric dentist for an examination and potential intervention which may involve removal of the growth.  

Dentistry

Dr. Randolph Myerson