Dentistry/gum recession

I've had receding gums for a long time due to bruxism. The recession has always been under control as I have an excellent oral hygiene and have no significant bone loss.  My general dentist would like to perform  a very unusual procedure consisting of covering the roots of the teeth that are visible (9) by sticking (gluing) a small piece of a synthetic material on each one. It seems to me that this could only make matters worse and cause even more damage. What is your opinion?

Dental recession happens to most people over time. Gingival grafting is a procedure which can be done using your own donor tissue, or using a synthetic material such as alloderm. Generally, a graft is done for several reasons... 1- cosmetics. 2- to prevent severe attachment loss, when you have 1-2mm or no more pink attached gum tissue. 3. in areas of clefting, an almost splitting appearance of the gum tissue.
If you still have significant attached gum tissue, and your periodontal condition is well maintained, you may want to get a second opinion, preferably with a periodontist as to whether this procedure is necessary now or should be done in the future.
If you have slim tissue, this procedure is a good idea for long term connective tissue resilience.

Marielaina Perrone DDS

I am a Family, Cosmetic, & Implant Dentist. I am well versed in virtually all of dentistry including dental surgery, dental implants, endodontics, periodontal disease, cosmetic dentistry procedures, dental phobia treatment, etc. Essentially if it is dental related I can help. Cosmetic Dentist Henderson Nevada Las Vegas Cosmetic Dentist Las Vegas Dental Implants

I graduated from Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine in 1997 with my D.D.S. degree and have been in private practice ever since. I currently maintain a private practice in Henderson, Nevada.

Dental School: Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine 1993-1997 Post Grad: Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine Advanced Education in General Dentistry 1997-1998