Dentistry/Implant and root canal infection

Hi Marielaina, I have had a sinus tract due to a root canal infection for well over a year. The endodontist I seen couldn't work on this after removing my crown as she said there was a small furcal perforation, distal caries, and a crack in the distal part of the tooth.

My question is whether someone in this situation would usually have the tooth removed first to let the infection heal prior to having an implant? Is there any disadvantage to removing the tooth and having the implant done some time afterwards??

Would someone in this situation ever try to have an implant done as soon as possible despite their being an infection present?

Best regards

Generally, in a situation where there has been chronic infection, it is best to allow for healing of the area prior to implant placement. Sometimes, upon removal of the tooth, the doctor may also want to place bone grafting material if there has been a bit of loss in the area. There is not a disadvantage in waiting for healing, it is preferred. Good healing will give better a better long term prognosis for the final implant. Usually, people are in a rush to be finished, and don't want to wait, you seem to have the right idea.

Marielaina Perrone DDS

I am a Family, Cosmetic, & Implant Dentist. I am well versed in virtually all of dentistry including dental surgery, dental implants, endodontics, periodontal disease, cosmetic dentistry procedures, dental phobia treatment, etc. Essentially if it is dental related I can help. Cosmetic Dentist Henderson Nevada Las Vegas Cosmetic Dentist Las Vegas Dental Implants

I graduated from Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine in 1997 with my D.D.S. degree and have been in private practice ever since. I currently maintain a private practice in Henderson, Nevada.

Dental School: Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine 1993-1997 Post Grad: Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine Advanced Education in General Dentistry 1997-1998