Dentistry/Loss of Vertical Facial Height

Question
What can I do to repair this? My face has drastically changed, to where I don't model anymore. I've recently been called a "horse face, needing plastic surgery".  I know it's because of my teeth shifting after losing the teeth right after the canines, on both sides, and waiting years before getting implants (I still need one on the left).  My face is literally caving in and becoming long. I just want to know what I need to do to stop the changes and correct the problems, and where I can go to get these things done. Please help?  Thanks for your time.

Answer
Samantha - The cause of the elongation of your face dictates the appropriate treatment to correct it.  There are many orthodontists that are not appropriately trained to do more than just move the teeth.  Any movements of the teeth can change facial dimensions.  I think that the best evaluation if there has been facial changes is for you to see a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to diagnose the cause of the facial changes.  Once the cause has been determined the appropriate treatment could be planned.  So you need a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to evaluate you.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired