You are here:

Dentistry/Loss of Vertical Facial Height


What can I do to repair this? My face has drastically changed, to where I don't model anymore. I've recently been called a "horse face, needing plastic surgery".  I know it's because of my teeth shifting after losing the teeth right after the canines, on both sides, and waiting years before getting implants (I still need one on the left).  My face is literally caving in and becoming long. I just want to know what I need to do to stop the changes and correct the problems, and where I can go to get these things done. Please help?  Thanks for your time.

Samantha - The cause of the elongation of your face dictates the appropriate treatment to correct it.  There are many orthodontists that are not appropriately trained to do more than just move the teeth.  Any movements of the teeth can change facial dimensions.  I think that the best evaluation if there has been facial changes is for you to see a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to diagnose the cause of the facial changes.  Once the cause has been determined the appropriate treatment could be planned.  So you need a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon to evaluate you.


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired


I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.


Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

Awards and Honors
National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude

©2017 All rights reserved.