Dentistry/metallic taste since crown

I was reading a past post you received 6/22/08(foul taste in mouth) I have similar situation for over 2 years. I broke a corner of a molar below the gum line and have it repaired,everything was fine,no pain,discomfort, or foul taste. Three weeks later I had a gold and maybe porcelain cap put on. I am allergic or sensitive to many metals. I found out the hard way with a prior crown. Since the crown was put on I developed the metallic taste witch by the way intensifies when I brush my teeth. Also seems to be reacting with the crown and other dental work above. I was seriously thinking of removing the crown, but it cost over $3000.00! Each of the dentist's that did the work told me to see the other. My bite is also off since the crown and most of my teeth are wearing to the point of sensitivity,especially my front teeth which cracked and peeled a bit.If I replace the crown can you recommend a substance, should I have all my amalgam fillings replaced,unfortunately I have many of them. One last note my gums on that side periodically are irritated. Sorry about the short novel and your opinion will be highly welcomed. Thank you

Judy - First of all, if your bite is off since the crown was placed, the dentist who made the crown for you needs to make a new one or adjust the bite properly.  There should be no cost to you involved in either situation.  So get the new crown and don't pay anything.  If the dentist gives you a difficult time, contact the local dental society and they should advise the dentist that he is responsible.  

As far as the bad taste, there are a couple of different reasons. It could be the material used to make the crown or the cement used to attach the tooth.  Again get a seconed opinion.

Amalgam fillings are wonderful. The are constantly trying to make sure that no gaps occur between the crown and the tooth.  So if you have amalgam fillings that do not have decay associated leave them alone.  I personally have 6 amalgam fillings and would never consider removing them.  Most dentists who talk patients into removing the amalgam are just trying to make some extra money.

As for the gums, I don't know how you clean your teeth, but you need to brush, floss and use and antibacterial mouthrinse (Listerine) at least twice a day.  That will correct most gum problems.  

If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude