Dentistry/Why not Mini Implants

Question
Dear Dr. I am having alot of trouble finding a dentist to give me 4 mini implants for my lower denture. I went to two oral surgeons that only do tradionals, a periodontist that wont do mini's either. I would not let a general dentist do them. I have had a CT at a Prosthodontist, and he only does the big ones. I have no lower ridge left, but still have alot of bone for either type. How long do mini's last, and do they fracture when being put in? Is this why dentists are leary of doing them? Thank You

Answer
Dear Sybil,

I would venture to guess that you will not find an oral surgeon or periodontist or prosthodontist who will place mini's.  They are convinced that mini's do not last.  You may have to settle for a general dentist who has done many of them (over 100).  Once you find that dentist, ask for their list of patients who have had mini's place, so you can contact them for their opinions of both the dentist and the mini's.

I feel very fortunate that the first implant courses that I attended through certification, were strictly about use of mini's.  Since then, I have placed just shy of 100.  With the exception of my very first case, all have lasted for more than 5 years.  After my first implant patient began losing his implants, I allowed his bone to heal for three months, then I replaced them with wider, stronger mini's.  To my knowledge, he still has these now (6 years later).  I suspect that mini's are the only implants I will ever place.  The technique is relatively simple, non-invasive, and has fewer postoperative complications than traditional implants.

Mini's do not fracture during placement, but they can fracture after placement, under extreme conditions.  The fact that they do fracture, rather than loosen and come out, is a sign of how strongly the implant is attached to the bone.  It is very difficult to fracture titanium.

Google Imtec.com  This is the company that developed and marketed the first mini's over 30 years ago.  I suspect that they maintain a list of dentists who use their products.  If so, look for several near you, contact them for a visit, and select the one you like best.  If not, contact me again, and I'll see what I can find out.

As an aside, Imtec became so successful that 3M bought it several years ago.  I can assure you that 3M does not buy companies that produce products that fail.

I wish you luck in your search and success with your mini's  

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO