• Home
  • Health/Fitness
  • Dentistry
  • Dentistry
  • MRSA beginning with a root canal and going into the sinuses, ear infections, eye infections and swollen glands to finally end up in a liason on the outside of my face. It then travelled to my hip replacement and I was on a pic line with vancomyacin 2xda

Dentistry/MRSA beginning with a root canal and going into the sinuses, ear infections, eye infections and swollen glands to finally end up in a liason on the outside of my face. It then travelled to my hip replacement and I was on a pic line with vancomyacin 2xda

Question
Question:

The same tooth, after vancomyacin treatment, would still flare up and become infected.  I finally, with the ok of my infectious disease doctor, had it removed a week ago.  I am on clindomyacin 4xday, 300mg each time.  I received the pathology report and it stated that "Sections show fragments of viable bone with areas marrow fibrosis and reactive changes.  There is no evidence of acute inflammation associated with the bone fragments or acute osteomyelitis.  There is a single detached fragment of soft tissue containing acute inflammation."  CLINICAL INFORMATION:  Chronic infection in area and tooth #19.  Can you please tell me in layman's terms what this means?  I appreciate your input!

Answer
Hi Soni,

This biopsy report is a bit confusing.  From what I can discern, it sounds like they are ruling out osteomyelitis and cellulitis, which are serious conditions, so that's GOOD.  

Sounds like you have a chronic infection/abscess associated with a tooth.  I would see an endodontist (root canal specialist) to evaluate the teeth in the area.

Hope this helps,
KG Amin, DMD

Austin Center for Endodontics (Root Canal Specialists)
Austin Center for Endodontics

Dentistry

Ketan Amin, DMD