Dentistry/"opening" existing crown and resealing

I had a root canal about 6 years ago that went perfectly. Had the crown put on 2-3 weeks later. Have had no problems - am a flosser, brusher and regular visits person.

My dentist wants to open up the crown, take a look to see if there is any bacteria/damage and then reseal. This is to avoid having to possibly get a new crown later which would be more costly. Or if the tooth does not look "good" then I will need to get a new crown.

Please let me know your thinking on this.

Thank you.

I have to say, I have never heard of such a thing. If there is no decay, no symptoms, no open gaps or signs of problems on the xray, there is no reason to open up a perfectly good crown to "take a peek". Opening it up will cause it to fail sooner.
Generally, a crown lasts from 5-20 years. Crowns should be checked by xray, by evaluating symptoms, and by running an explorer around the edges to check for decay and open areas. If nothing is found, it is left alone.
Perhaps a second opinion with another dentist would help you to make your best decision about how to proceed.  

Marielaina Perrone DDS

I am a Family, Cosmetic, & Implant Dentist. I am well versed in virtually all of dentistry including dental surgery, dental implants, endodontics, periodontal disease, cosmetic dentistry procedures, dental phobia treatment, etc. Essentially if it is dental related I can help. Cosmetic Dentist Henderson Nevada Las Vegas Cosmetic Dentist Las Vegas Dental Implants

I graduated from Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine in 1997 with my D.D.S. degree and have been in private practice ever since. I currently maintain a private practice in Henderson, Nevada.

Dental School: Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine 1993-1997 Post Grad: Stony Brook University School of Dental Medicine Advanced Education in General Dentistry 1997-1998