Dentistry/"opening" existing crown and resealing

Question
I had a root canal about 6 years ago that went perfectly. Had the crown put on 2-3 weeks later. Have had no problems - am a flosser, brusher and regular visits person.

My dentist wants to open up the crown, take a look to see if there is any bacteria/damage and then reseal. This is to avoid having to possibly get a new crown later which would be more costly. Or if the tooth does not look "good" then I will need to get a new crown.

Please let me know your thinking on this.

Thank you.

Answer
I have to say, I have never heard of such a thing. If there is no decay, no symptoms, no open gaps or signs of problems on the xray, there is no reason to open up a perfectly good crown to "take a peek". Opening it up will cause it to fail sooner.
Generally, a crown lasts from 5-20 years. Crowns should be checked by xray, by evaluating symptoms, and by running an explorer around the edges to check for decay and open areas. If nothing is found, it is left alone.
Perhaps a second opinion with another dentist would help you to make your best decision about how to proceed.  

Dentistry

Marielaina Perrone DDS