Dentistry/Pain after crown ? root canal.

Dear Doctor,
 Please help!  I have a broken crown replaced 2 to 3 months ago and it's still giving me problems.  At first, my gum around the crown would bleed and I feel pain when chewing to the point that I don't want to eat if possible.  There was no heat/cold sensitivity than, just pain around the gum and bleeding when flossing.  I feel that the floss is going so deep into the gum as if the crown and the gum wasn't seal tight.  I went back to my dentist after 10 days of discomfort and he took an X-ray.  Everything is fine according to him and he told me to come back when it's time for my routine cleaning.  I was shocked but didn't know what to do.  The pain went away for a few days and return again.  I went back to the dentist, he asked me if I have heat/cold sensitivity and I said no, just the gum area and contact pain when I am chewing regular food.  I said I need a root canal.  I didn't want a root canal at that time because I wasn't sure if I really need one.  I didn't have pain when  i was wearing the temp. crown and I didn't have heat/cold sensitivity just gum pain and bleeding from inflammation, chewing and flossing.  I told him I heard that if we feel pain, the root is still good.  I asked if he can desensitized my tooth and he said he can't do it now that the crown is sealed.  I don't think he did it before the crown was sealed either.  The crown looks a lot shorter in height than my previous one as well, so I asked if the bite is off and could the height discrepancy somehow cause the pain to the gum.  He finally build up the crown a bit and also the tooth behind it to hopefully relief the pressure.  Now I don't have gum pain but my tooth is extremely sensitive to heat/cold.  What's going on with my tooth? and what should I do?

Dear Amy,

Without seeing you, your tooth, your gum and your X-ray, it is impossible to tell exactly why you are having these problems.  Since you are having pain in your gum, you should see a periodontist (a dentist who specializes in diseases of the gums), and ask for an evaluation.  A periodontist will likely let you know what your problem is, and what you should do.

Let me know what you find out.

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.