Dentistry/Pain after root canal

Question

I am currently in a lot of pain after a root canal that was done yesterday (Tuesday) morning. The procedure was done on tooth number 17. I wasn't in pain before the tooth canal but with x-rays they found a root canal was needed. When the numbness wore off it just seemed like pressure soreness. The dentist put a filling in till Saturday morning when ill go back for a crown. I've never had a filling on a root canal before...is that normal? i've always had a temp crown.
Now  Wednesday evening I am in bad pain with throbbing and extreme sensitivity to pressure. I can't eat anything, even on the other side of my mouth bcause of the sensitivity. I was prescribed ibuprofen and that wasn't doing anything so I called in for something stronger and I was prescribed Tylenol 3. It is barely helping.  I was not given an antibiotic.
Will the pain generally go away or is there a possibility of something wrong? Tomorrow is thanksgiving so I don't want to bug anyone but I don't know if I can last till Saturday with constant pain. Just not sure what to do. Can I take 2 Tylenol 3 at one time? I've never taken Tylenol 3 before.

Side note: I have had two other root canals and NEVER had pain afterward.

Answer
Hi Marie,

Sorry to hear about this.

I find it interesting that a root canal was performed on #17, as that is a wisdom tooth.
Be that as it may, it is normal for you to experience pain for a few days after a root canal. The pain should subside hopefully by Friday, but the tooth will be tender and sore.

You can take 600mg Ibuprofen with the Tylenol #3, and that should help the pain somewhat.

Feel better!  

Dentistry

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD