Dentistry/Pain after root canal

I am currently in a lot of pain after a root canal that was done yesterday (Tuesday) morning. The procedure was done on tooth number 17. I wasn't in pain before the tooth canal but with x-rays they found a root canal was needed. When the numbness wore off it just seemed like pressure soreness. The dentist put a filling in till Saturday morning when ill go back for a crown. I've never had a filling on a root canal that normal? i've always had a temp crown.
Now  Wednesday evening I am in bad pain with throbbing and extreme sensitivity to pressure. I can't eat anything, even on the other side of my mouth bcause of the sensitivity. I was prescribed ibuprofen and that wasn't doing anything so I called in for something stronger and I was prescribed Tylenol 3. It is barely helping.  I was not given an antibiotic.
Will the pain generally go away or is there a possibility of something wrong? Tomorrow is thanksgiving so I don't want to bug anyone but I don't know if I can last till Saturday with constant pain. Just not sure what to do. Can I take 2 Tylenol 3 at one time? I've never taken Tylenol 3 before.

Side note: I have had two other root canals and NEVER had pain afterward.

Hi Marie,

Sorry to hear about this.

I find it interesting that a root canal was performed on #17, as that is a wisdom tooth.
Be that as it may, it is normal for you to experience pain for a few days after a root canal. The pain should subside hopefully by Friday, but the tooth will be tender and sore.

You can take 600mg Ibuprofen with the Tylenol #3, and that should help the pain somewhat.

Feel better!  

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD

I can answer a range of questions in dentistry, ranging from cosmetic dentistry, fillings, root canals, and comprehensive treatment. Specifically, my fields of interest are in CEREC technology, Invisalign (Invisable braces), and Endodontics (root canals).

Full time practicing dentist in New York City, treating all phases of adult dental needs. Specific focus on Invisalign cases, Endodontic (root canal) treatment, and CEREC single visit restorations.

Schwartz Benjamin, Boczko Fae, McKeon S. Oral Care For The Elderly. Perspectives in Gerontology December 2006

New York University College of Dentistry - D.D.S.
Woodhull Medical Center, 1 year post-graduate residency program - GPR