Dentistry/question about sensitive temp. crown

Question
About 8 days ago, I had an upper molar prepared for a crown. This is because the tooth had an extremely large old silver filling that was starting to break down. I didn't have any sensitivity in the tooth, but my dentist warned me that because the filling was so huge, there was a chance I could break the tooth and I was safer if I had it crowned. Anyway, everything went well during the procedure, and my dentist said that I could expect some sensitivity but to call him if I had extreme pain that woke me in the middle of the night, because sometimes after preparing a tooth for a crown it can damage the nerve leading it to need a root canal.

Right now I have a temporary crown on the tooth and will be going back in about a week and a half for the permanent crown.

I have been feeling fine since the procedure aside from having a little sensitivity to cold. My dentist said that was normal, and it's more worrisome if there is sensitivity to heat. I do not have any sensitivity to heat. However, tonight I was eating a piece of chocolate. I was not chewing it but just letting it melt in my mouth and the tooth became extremely sensitive. I'm guessing it was from the sugar/sweetness. It took a while to calm down. Is this normal? Or does this mean I will need a root canal? It is still not sensitive to heat at all. Just a little bit to cold, and this strong sensitivity to sugar that I just found out about tonight. Of course this started on a Friday night and I really do not want to call the dentist's emergency number for this question, but am anxious to wait for Monday for an opinion.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Answer
Dear Sara,

With the exception of several days after treatment, tooth sensitivity is never normal.  Your chocolate experience suggests that your temporary crown is not sealed well to the underlying prepared tooth.  Please contact your dentist today and let him know about your experience, and he will likely have you come in to adjust and recement the temporary.  When you see him, tell him to contact me about how he can complete and cement a permanent crown in less than 2 hours and eliminate the need to use a temporary.

You would be doing me a great favor if you go online to Yelp.com and giving me a 5=star review for my answer and your result.  Then let me know how this all works out.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO